Saturday, November 19, 2005

California Drive In

It just seems like there is always something exciting going on at Westfields Plaza Bonita. This weekend they have Hyundai's California Drive In. There are several different models of Hyundais located around the mall, they have a test track set up in part of the parking lot and then they have a mock car with a green screen set up behind the seats. This is set up very near the Santa Set. And the few times I had today with no one waiting to see me I was able to participate in this adventure it is like a 60 second commercial and they have different scenes on the green screen that you get to react to. They then download it onto a website and you can see your scenes by putting in your e-mail address. I have not had the opportunity to check it all out yet and they said it would take a day or so to get them loaded up. For those that are interested the web site is www.californiadrivein.com now once you get there you can plug into the e-mail spot santa@ibelieveinsanta.net for the first one that I was able to do. This next one is a dummy e-mail address that one of the Hyundai representatives had put in for a drive that I went on with him it is santa@claus.com it is a dummy address but I am sure the domain name is in use. I will post some more e-mail addresses tomorrow after I get it checked out. It was a real kick and the Hyundai people were great at promoting Santa in the mall as well as there product.

I believe the true Christmas spirit is starting to hit I had a young boy about 4 sitting on my lap and his sister who was probably about 6 or 7 Santa asked the usual question Have you been good
and got the same response that I get from about 99.999% of the children. For those that are not sure about what that response is, it is a definite Yes. Then I asked what they wanted for Christmas I cannot remember what the young man had asked for due to his sisters response which was "I just want all of the poor kids who are not getting anything to get something for Christmas."

Then I had these two gangsta dressed type young men probably 20 come up and one wanted to get a photo with Santa. He started out acting tough wouldn't sit on my knee, then he let me know that he was really being good he had joined the Navy so he could stay out of trouble. Then his buddy decided he wanted a pic and set on my knee, now they decided to take one together, they were going to send one to there moms. Then I was going for my dinner brake and these guys were doing the drive in deal and asked me to join them, so I did and it was even more of a kick.

After dinner I was talking to a young man who wanted some legos and then said he wanted to make sure his sister would get a new pink bike. I was standing at the front of the Santa set during this and his Mom just about fell over when he said it. I asked if he wanted to come back and visit and mom told me they have always taken their own photos of their children's visit with Santa as they really cannot afford the price of Cherry Hill Photos. She said that she had read the sign and was very disappointed with the new rule. To be real honest so was I it really doesn't bother me if a parent takes one or two photos of their own my preference is that they are candid and not ones that we are posing for or trying to get smiles from unhappy children. Some times Santa can tell when a family doesn't really have the money for extra item like Santa photos, so I made a decision to bend the rules a little their were very few people around and it was a slack period. The crew on the set tonight was pretty good, as I walked back to the chair with this young man I told mom to get her camera ready for a quick shot and asked the crew to just look the other direction for the moment. Mom got her picture and he got a bell.



This next paragraph is probably going to come across like I am boasting, I assure you that is not what I am trying to do, I am just trying to describe some of the events and the different things that are said to me. Many many times in a day I am told that I am a pretty Santa, I am not so sure I like the pretty connotation that is put on that I would much rather here good looking, handsome, even hunk. Ha Ha Ha. I also get a lot of you look so real just like Santa Claus, that statement gets a standard reply, "maybe there is a reason for that" and then I present that person with my North Pole Drivers License. It stops them right in there tracks. There are folks that come and sit on the benches around the Santa set most of the time because they are tired of walking or just waiting for someone. This evening I noticed an elderly gentleman sitting on one of those benches as I was talking to children out front of the set and several different ones were getting photos taken. I had decided that the first chance I had I would make a point to go talk to him. Well the opportunity arrived and I was getting ready to head his direction he was getting up and started to move, in my direction. He came up to me and said you are the real thing, you are genuine and you just love the children. Then he said the most wonderful thing I have ever heard said about me, He said you are Miracle on 34th St. I have had some say I looked like the Santa in that movie, but never have I heard it said the way this elderly gentleman had said it. It was just what I needed to hear to finish out the day. It will probably help me clear through for the next 35 days.

Now a lot of people tug on Santa's beard, I ask people if they know who pulls on Santa's beard the most and they reply with Mrs. Claus. Right now as far as I can remember she has never pulled on my beard. I have been question about my beard for the first time this year by a young one. But the ones who pull on it the most are the adult women, as they ask is that real? I find that really interesting that it is not the mischievous 11 year old. Makes me wonder if those girls aren't even more mischievous than the boys ever could be, they just wait until they grow up to let that part of them out.


today's sit count for today was 121 for a total to date of 545.

Nite All this Santa is getting in for now ready to sleep

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would never of said you are a "pretty Santa." I think you are the BEST SANTA. (Since you are my brother I can't really say you are a HUNK.)

I am so proud of you! I love your blog and the great stories you tell. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Love you
Trena