Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Ready Set Go

Well only about 17 hours til takeoff. I have been making my list and checking it twice and then checking it again. There is a quite a bit to be done for Santa to leave home for 45 days. Mrs. Claus has been busy sewing shirts for me to wear while I am out and about not wearing the official suit, that the photo company provides for me. This year I will have 13 shirts so I will be able to go a little longer between wash days. Last Friday we shipped out 3 trunks to the motel I will be staying at. I have been tracking them and UPS came through it only took 5 days but they were on schedule an it all arrived there today. Called the motel and they showed up in good condition.

So I am now down to packing up my lap top and my carry on bag, just the last minute items. I am going to get this down to a real plan. I have made up packing list so that I will know what is where, that way I can use the same list for next year and so on. I have tried to put a little more planning into it this year. I checked all the receipts that I brought back with me from last year so that I would not forget anything, in order to save myself time running around trying to make purchases after hours.

I have my calender and address book set up on my lap top so that I can keep track of the things I need to take care of while I am gone. Santas' Adventures is even bookmarked so that I won't loose track of it either. My learn to speak spanish program is loaded on the laptop so I will be able to continue with that.

When I was in Jr. High School I had 3 years of beginning Spanish, due to a lot of moving around that my parents did. The last year I was a straight A student as I well should have been, I just wish I had paid closer attention or used it more often. My estimate is that 60 to 70% of the Children I saw last year did not speak English and I sure was not prepared for that. So I think this year will be better, I have worked on my pronounciation trying to improve on some things. ? Que Quierres para la Navidad?, what do you want for Christmas? Quieres muchos regalos? Do you want lots of presents?
Te has portado bien? Have you behaved yourself? Sonrie y di cheese!!! Smile and say cheese!!! Dame un Cinco! Give me five! That will get me through most of the visits. I just need to get a better understanding of some of the responses I get back. I had most of them fooled last year with that little bit. I remember one little girl about 3 years old, I had asked what she wanted for Christmas, and she came back speaking spanish to me so fast and went on for quite awhile just barely taking a breath. I do not have a clue what she was saying to me, I do know that she left there with a big smile on her face. I hope she got everything she sked for or else she is liable to come back this year with a whole differnt rant. Then Santa will be on the hot seat.

Tommorrow will be busy I leave the North Pole at 7:30 have a 2 hour layover in Denver. I have some family there so my lil' sis is coming to the airport with my niece and her husband and my great nephew who is only a few months old. That will be a pleasant bit of time off the airplane. Then off we go to San Diego, wait in line for a rental car, try to find the motel and get checked in. From there I will be going to Westfields Plaza Bonita Shoppintown, I will be meeting the crew that will be working on the set. Then I will meet the new marketing director for the mall, we have been in contact via e-mails and she has seemed rather nice so I am looking forward to that. I will probably take a stroll through the mall and see what is new, talk to some of the merchants and then go get some dinner. Then it will be time to crash.

Friday is supposed to be a day for me to get settled in and do some things for myself. I plan to drive up to Hollywood there is a tailor up there who specializes in Santa suits so I want to get sized up so that I can have a suit made up for my year round adventures. I have connected with a group called Santa-America and will need a suit, so that I can volunteer with them.
They are a real neat organization and I really like what they do throughout the year. I could try to explain but I really think it best if you just check out their website to get an accurate description of what they do. Here is there address http://www.santa-america.org/ please give them a look.

While I am in Hollywood I am going to try to have lunch with a nephew who is attending UCLA. His family lives in San Jose and a few years back he spent several months with us at the North Pole. So another nice thing that I get to do for me. Then Saturday we get to start in the Grand Chair at the mall.
Well I guess it is time to work on a little of my Spanish before Mrs. Claus gets home, we will have dinner and go to Church try to get to bed early so that we can get an early start going to the airport. I will ad more as our Adventure gets going as for now you have an itenerary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little sis is so excited to see you. I am not sure how many years it has been since I saw you last. I only know that it has been way to long.

For me this will be a great adventure just to see you. You keep us posted but, dont get too tired.

I have to tell you......I am so proud to call you my brother. You have such a wonderful kind spirit. It's now wonder you are Santa. I hope you have a safe trip..see you soon. Trena

Anonymous said...

Hey, Santa, Greetings from the midwest - mendota, Illinois to be exact - but you knew that already , didn't you ? Logan wants to get his request in early - He wonders if you will bring him a digital camera for Christmas this year -- he says he has been a very good boy. Travis says he still believes , so won't you please bring him a '66 charger ? you can park it in the driveway, since our chimney is quite small, even for Christmas magic. Say "Hey" to Mrs. Claus for me. Enjoy your Christmas adventure ! Feliz Navidad ! Kim and The Gys