Saturday, November 05, 2005

First time out

Well I was just introduced to this blog idea and thought I would give it a try. I have been a Santa Claus since 1998. I have done it locally for a variety of events. I started out with the fake wig and beard, and cheap department store suit. Then each year something different changed with the appearance. Mrs. Claus made me a suit, I would let my beard grow out and shave it off on Christmas day. I started out just using a professional makeup white for my hair and beard, then it started taking too long and was difficult to wash out. So I then went to just having it bleached out white.

The first time I put on the suit, it was not what I had plannned. I was going to do photos for the people in the community with Santa. I had found a guy to be Santa, but needed to borrow the suit. I found one from the local VFW they would let me use it if I would provide a Santa for their Christmas party. The guy I had set up to be Santa for me had agreed to it. Then at the last minute changed his mind. Then I tried to find someone else to do it to no avail.

So I had to put on the Red Suit, on it went and then off I went to the VFW Christmas party. Something different happened to me that night and a metamorphisis took place. That was when I found out anybody can put on a Red Suit, but not everyone can be Santa.

I was asked to show up at several different places that year. I decided from that point that if I was going to play Santa I would have to be more realistic, the changes came slow, and finally we are at the point where I am Santa 24/7/365.
It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life.

In 2003 people started telling me that I needed to go be Santa professionally in the big malls. I had to do some thinking about it and I went to an audition in Las Vegas, did not make it there so I checked with another agency and was not impressed with their operation. Then one evening at a high school basketball game a guy came up to me and asked if I had ever played Santa. I told him it was rather difficult to play something you are. He then took my phone number and his agent was in contact with me before you could say HO HO HO.

So Last year I worked my first time in a mall setting in southern California. I enjoyed it so much and the Plaza Bonita Mall must have liked me because I will be going back there again this year. This will be how I chronicle my adventures this year. So keep checking back for regular updates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea to put your Santa adventures in a blog. Whoever gave you that idea must be a genius.

I was not aware of the beginning of your Santaness so thanks for sharing it.

I am looking forward to reading up on the many adventures of Santa 2005.

I love you big Brother.
Life is so good isn't it?
Your "little sis"

Anonymous said...

What a rewarding occupatin you have chosen! You are the guy for the job! Please remember to take of yourself! Even Santa needs his rest and good meals. My hats off to you. I do want to sit on Santa's knee on year!!!