Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Good Morning Plaza Bonita

Good Morning Plaza Bonita, I do enjoy starting my day like that. It was another slow day for the Santa Set.

For those readers I have that do not know what I am talking about when I say Santa Set. It is the place in the Mall where everyone can come to visit Santa. Most malls have them and they are all a little different. The one that this Santa hangs out in is like the inside of his home and something like a castle. I sit in a dark green chair that is big enough for myself and up to four more one on each knee one on either side and sometimes we get one. There are two Christmas trees one on the top that must go 20 feet or better above a tower, and another next to my chair. There are several windows set in the walls then across from my chair is a huge fireplace. We also have this huge grandfather type clock with the pendulum and time goes by real fast, around the outside it is decorated with some stuff that is supposed to look like snow and lots of christmas lights.

We could tell it was going to be slow so Santa and one of his helpers started walking the mall and handing out candy canes. In the middle of the mall they have a place for all the children. like an indoor playground. We had just come up on this area and I had a young man maybe 10 years old come up to me and as he was making his approach he was telling some other children look here is Santa so then I had what I think was three children standing there in front of me. All three had chocolate bars in there hands, those really soft milk chocolate type bars that look so delicious and creamy. I am standing there getting ready to hand to these Children a minature candy cane and they are holding on to this chocolate bar and what is going through my mind is these candy canes don't hold up against the chocolate and I am sure they would not need anymore sugar for awhile. But I proceed with the candy canes and they call over their little brother and tell him to give Santa a hug. All I can see is chocolate all over this red velvet suit and mostly white fur. ( I will let you know about the mostly white in a future post.) So I stop this young one by saying wait a minute, I was wanting to make sure we would be in a place where we could exchange hugs while someone else held the choclate bar and I could hold the hand that it had been in to control where chocolate would be going. Well that little guy was not happy about being stopped by Santa and started crying. Then as I am looking around I figure out who these Children belong too. The Assistant General Manager of the Mall. Bad move on my part. After talking to him I found out that this young man had a bad experience with Santa last year. Santa sure blew that one because they did not show up later for photos.

By now you should be able to tell it was another slow day. Not one visitor to see Santa before lunch. We did have a four of my special friends come by with there teachers from Trace South and we were able to take a group photo. Well the evening was different we had a few more visits. We had 2 teenage girls show up best friend types wanted a photo, they were able to get a nice photo with Santa, then I find out they are 18 an 19 year olds and the 18 year old had never had a photo taken with Santa that one was sad. Then I get one about 2 1/2 who come right on up sits in my lap and will not say a word. I was speaking to him in English and Spanish only to find that he does speak english just did not have anything to say. He smiled when he was asked if he wanted a candy cane and that was about all I could get.

Yeah it was so busy here is the official head count 36 visits back to Santa today. So the total headcount to date was 245

No comments: